Sorry, but I've wanted to use that line for a long time :)
In this case I'm talking about spreading the love with your clients, and there's no better way to do that than sharing information that helps them.
Often people think, "if I do that they don't have any reason to pay me." If that's the case, you should be looking for another career. There are tons of things you can share with your customers that help them without undermining your ability to make a living. In fact, you'll find it actually ends up helping you.
Think about it, there are a number of reasons for that:
- Everyone appreciates help and, except for the jerks out there, when you help someone they're more likely to remember you when they need your services. If they don't, they're probably not the kind of customer you want and need, anyway.
- If you're like most businesses, there are a ton of things that you're repeatedly asked; answer these questions on your website! There will always be people who want to ask anyway (maybe they just like to torture us?), but proactively answering as many questions as possible will save you time and make customers happy
- The more educated your customers are about what you do, the more they realize you're awesome because you know how to do it.
- Sharing helpful information demonstrates your knowledge of your field and helps build your credibility (why do you think people write guest columns or appear as experts on the news?).
- Often times people think they want to do something themselves, and the process of trying to learn about it makes them realize they're much better off just paying someone to do it.
- Having good, relevant content on your site helps with SEO - even if you feel like nobody ever reads it. Plus, remember it only takes that ONE site visitor who's your perfect fit.
These are just a few reasons to share helpful content with your customers. Sometimes we're too close to our own businesses, though, and have a hard time thinking of things to write about. That's where we come in! Check out our article on how good content drives SEO, and download our worksheets to help you create a blog calendar.